Two 14-year-olds booked with burglary of a St. Bernard recreation department concession stand and felony criminal damage for causing $5,000 damage; Stolen candy worth hundreds of dollars recovered
Two 14-year-old boys from Violet have been arrested and booked with burglarizing a St. Bernard Parish government recreation department concession stand early Aug. 25 and with causing $5,000 damage to the stand, Sheriff James Pohlmann said. Several hundred dollars worth of stolen candy was recovered in the arrests.
The boys, who each admitted their involvement under questioning by sheriff’s detectives with a parent present, were found after authorities were tipped they had been selling candy at school, the sheriff said.
Their names haven’t been released because they are minors.
Extensive damage was done inside the concession stand after the two got inside, authorities said, including destroying equipment. Damage was estimated at $5,000.
Both teen-agers were arrested Thursday evening, Aug. 29, and were placed in the parish Juvenile Detention Center. A judge set $10,000 bonds for both and they are being held in lieu of making bond. They were both booked with burglary and criminal damage to property, with both counts felonies.
The burglary happened early Sunday morning, Aug. 25, at the concession stand for ball fields run by the parish recreation center in the 2500 block of Archbishop Hannan Boulevard in Meraux. It was discovered by parish government employees on Monday morning, Aug. 26.
A large amount of candy was stolen and the teen-agers involved took the items to their homes by bicycles after the burglary, authorities said. Some of the stolen candy was recovered at one boy’s home and the other boy’s father brought stolen candy to authorities after finding it in his son’s room, the sheriff said.
Citizen’s Police Academy session opens for 15thth session; Participants say they joined to learn more about their parish; Call 278-7628 to still register
Rick and Mona Bei, Dawn Peterson and Christina Anderson, all St. Bernard residents, had more or less the same reason for joining the new session of the Sheriff’s Citizen’s Police Academy which opened Aug. 28: they wanted to know more about their parish.
Peterson said, “I have a background in legal studies and I was interested in how the parish works’’ and thought taking the course on St. Bernard law enforcement would give her some insights.
Anderson said, “I thought it would be something to get involved in in the community.’’ She added that because of the Sheriff’s Office aspect to it, “my son is excited I’m doing this. He is eight.’’
Rick Bei, now retired from Entergy, said as long-time residents, he and his wife “were interested in taking something like this.’’ Mona Bei added, “We wanted to see how things work’’ in St. Bernard.
Along with the other 30 participants who signed up for the latest free Sheriff’s Citizen’s Police Academy session, they will meet Sheriff James Pohlmann, hear from Sheriff’s Office ranking officers on what it means to do police work in the parish, tour Parish Prison, receive safety tips and take part in a firearms simulator that asks them to make split-second decisions on whether, as an officer, they would be justified to use lethal force on a criminal suspect.
More than 600 parish residents have gone through the 10-week course that involves meetings on Wednesday nights, with a graduation ceremony in early November. The sessions have been available in St. Bernard since 1999.
Any parish resident who would like to still register for the course that just started can call Capt. Charles Borchers at 504-278-7628. Sessions are held at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, in the Sheriff’s Training Center on the 2nd-floor of a parish building at 2118 Jackson Blvd. in Chalmette, immediately behind the parish Courthouse which is on West St. Bernard Highway. The Assessor’s Office is in the same building.
Borchers, who operates Citizens Police Academy, can also be called if anyone wants to start a Neighborhood Watch program on their street, if they are interested in being considered for the sheriff’s Reserve Division or to receive information about the Night Out Against Crime celebration coming up in October.
Borchers told the latest group on opening night that they may be surprised at the professional level of the Sheriff’s Office, with well-trained officers and up-to-date equipment.
He said all but one of the sheriff’s top command staff, including Sheriff Pohlmann, are graduates of the FBI National Training Academy.
Borchers, on opening night, also took the group through the selection process of how sheriff’s deputies are hired.
Maj. David DiMaggio, head of training for the department, also spoke on the increased emphasis on training since Sheriff Pohlmann took office a year ago.
Annual Day of Reflection held at Chalmette High marks 8th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and parish’s rebuilding since then, including school system
Chalmette High’s new gym was filled with St. Bernard Parish residents, elected officials and visitors Thursday for the Annual Day of Reflection marking the 8th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina’s devastating impact on the parish on Aug. 29, 2005. But striking the theme of continued rebuilding since the storm, Superintendent of Schools Doris Voitier noted the parish has much to be proud of, including its teachers and school administrators, continued improvement on state testing by students and the support of the community.
A crowd of several hundred in the audience is shown standing for the entrance of the Honor Guard and playing of the National Anthem. Also, Voitier addresses the group from the podium. Sheriff James Pohlmann is shown, seated next to State 4th Circuit Appeal Court Judge Danny Dysart as they listen to Voitier. Represenatives of the Sheriff’s Office share a table. Clockwide from left are Maj. Mark Poche, Col. David Mowers, Chief Deputy Sheriff Richard Baumy, Civil Division head JoAnn Lane, Maj. Mitch Roussell, Director of Administration John Vickers, Maj. Adolph Kreger Jr. and Maj. Chad Clark.
Chalmette man reported missing after cashing two checks totaling $10,500 for the company he worked for; St. Bernard Sheriff’s Office seeking information
A Chalmette man has been reported missing by his employer after cashing two checks Aug. 23 for the company he worked for, totaling nearly $10,500, Sheriff James Pohlmann said.
The Sheriff’s Office is seeking information on the whereabouts of Eliseo Sanchez, 23, who had been living in Chalmette.
Anyone with information on Sanchez should call the St. Bernard Sheriff’s Office at (504) 271-2501.
The sheriff said Sanchez’s employer reported him missing Aug. 24, saying Sanchez, who has routinely cashed checks for the company he worked for, hasn’t been seen or heard from after cashing two company checks in St. Bernard totaling more than $10,000 on Aug. 23. Sanchez had often cashed company checks worth more than that without problem, the employer said.
His employer, who also said Sanchez’ belongings remain at the man’s residence in Chalmette, said it was out of character for Sanchez not to contact the employer after cashing such company checks.
State again announces longer closure for the Seeber Bridge over Claiborne Avenue, now until mid-October
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) will continue the closure of the Judge Seeber (Claiborne Avenue) Bridge through mid-October.
The bridge is closed due to ongoing painting activity which would be of concern to bridge traffic.
The state closed the bridge, which is vital to St. Bernard residents who work in New Orleans, beginning Aug. 2 and said it would be shut down to traffic until Aug. 24. Then it was announced it would remain closed through Labor Day. On Thursday, the longer closure until mid-October was announced.
DOTD said it will continue to monitor construction activity to determine if additional time will be needed or if limited access can be accommodated in the future.
Motorists should use the St. Claude Avenue and Florida Avenue bridges over the Industrial Canal as alternate routes, as well as Interstate 10 from Paris Road.
St. Bernard woman loses $2,100 in Internet check fraud scheme; Sheriff Pohlmann warns residents not to send money to anyone who sends you a check and asks you to send some of your money back in turn
In an old scam that is still cheating people, a St. Bernard Parish woman lost $2,100 in an Internet check fraud scheme and Sheriff James Pohlmann is warning residents not to send money to strangers enticing you with checks that turn out to be fake.
“If something looks and feels too good to be true, it’s because it isn’t true,’’ Sheriff Pohlmann said. “Don’t let someone you have never met and correspond with over the Internet steal your hard-earned money by offering you something in return for your money.’’
Similar fraud schemes sometimes start with phone calls to you saying you have won money and asking for a service charge to be sent to them or emails to you about having won something, the sheriff said.
In this latest scam, he said, a woman from eastern St. Bernard Parish reported Aug. 24 she was victimized after searching the Internet and coming across what seemed like a way to earn money.
A web site offered to pay her to rate companies whose products she uses.
On Aug. 15, she received a text message from someone saying she would receive a check for her work, Sheriff Pohlmann said.
But, she was told to take the check, which was for $2,500, and put it in a bank and send a $2,100 money gram to a specific person in Blackwell, Okla.
At that point, Sheriff Pohlmann said, people should sense something is wrong and call the Sheriff’s Office to report the probable fraud scheme because no one should be asking you to send money to them if you legitimately won something or have done work.
In this case, the St. Bernard Parish woman received the $2,500 check, deposited it Aug. 19 and two days later withdrew $2,100 of her money and sent a money gram to the person named.
On Aug. 24, she received a letter from her bank informing the woman the check she deposited was fake and her account was now well overdrawn, the sheriff said.
She then called the Sheriff’s Office to make a report.
“I hate to see anyone go through this misery,’’ Sheriff Pohlmann said. “Please don’t respond to any such offers that require you to send someone money in order for you to allegedly receive money. Call our department at 271-2501 because it is a scheme and we will handle it from there.’’
Justin Pohlmann, 28, son of St. Bernard Parish Sheriff James Pohlmann, has been arrested by sheriff’s detectives on a warrant alleging one count of burglary and two counts of misdemeanor theft from a Chalmette residence and garage, Sheriff Pohlmann said.
Justin Pohlmann, who lives in Chalmette. was booked into St. Bernard Parish Prison after surrendering Thursday on the arrest warrant signed by a district judge. Sheriff’s detectives developed information on the burglary which led to them requesting the arrest warrant arrest.
“Like all too many parents, I have a child who has gotten into trouble with the law,’’ Sheriff Pohlmann said in a statement.
“My son, Justin, has a substance abuse problem which has returned,’’ the sheriff said, and much of the property crimes that occur today are the result of people who have such problems and steal to get money to continue using.
“That is not an excuse for criminal behavior,’’ Sheriff Pohlmann said, “but it is a realization I have come to. I love Justin and will continue to support him and make sure he gets the treatment he needs.’’
“I would request privacy for my family during these troubling times and allow the criminal justice system to run its course,’’ the sheriff said.
Due to inclement weather, the Louisiana Department Of Transportation and Development (DOTD) says the Judge Seeber Claiborne Avenue Bridge will remain closed to vehicular traffic through at least Labor Day weekend to continue cleaning and painting the west tower.
Since the closure began, rain has hampered the production of the project. Sandblasting has to be redone each time it rains as moisture gets into the containment area, causing the contractor to shut down operations and restart on the next clear day.
Because of the weather delays, the contractor has completed only 25 percent of the work on the west power. The contractor has already started preparations for east tower work.
DOTD will continue to evaluate the contractor’s progress during the closure to determine if additional time is needed or if limited access can be accommodated in the immediate future, officials said.
The project is expected to be completed in fall 2013.
The contractor will continue to have the bridge in the “up” position to accommodate the required containment enclosures and construction equipment to perform this work.
Motorists should use St. Claude and Florida Avenues as alternate routes. In St. Bernard Parish, Sheriff James Pohlmann has been sending Traffic Division deputies to the Claude Bridge at morning and afternoon rush hour periods to help New Orleans Police and State Police to direct traffic.
$2,000 reward offered for info. leading to arrest in burglary of the Delacroix Corp., Aug. 16-17; Call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111, Plaquemines S.O. at (504) 564-2525 or St. Bernard S.O. at 271-2501
A $2,000 reward is being offered by the Delacroix Corp. for information leading to the arrest of one or more people who burglarized the company’s field office on the East Bank of Plaquemines Parish, near the St. Bernard boundary, on Aug. 16 or 17, stealing a Polaris four-wheeler, fishing equipment and other items, company officials said.
Anyone with information should call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111, the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office at (504) 564-2525 or the St. Bernard Sheriff’s Office at (504) 271-2501.
A 2009 Polaris Ranger 4 by 4, which pewter-colored, along with fishing equipment that includes two custom rods and reels, were among items stolen in the burglary.
Man operating a Chalmette tattoo shop booked with illegally tattooing a minor without parental consent
Charles “Davie’’ Thonn, 35, 2312 Lena Drive, Chalmette, who operates Voodoo Tattoos at 414 West Judge Perez Drive, was arrested Aug. 8 and booked with illegally tattooing a minor without parental consent. He has been released on $7,500 bond.
The mother of a 14-year-old girl reported to the Sheriff’s Office that her daughter had received a tattoo at the shop but said she hadn’t given her permission, which is required by law before a minor can get a tattoo, the sheriff said.
The mother said she had never been in the shop until she went to complain to the operator, who she said told her he hadn’t done anything illegal and asked her to leave.
When sheriff’s deputies investigated, Thonn handed over a copy of a consent form dated June 20, which had the mother’s signature, and said the mother had been in the shop with the girl and he watched the mother sign the form.
But the mother said the signature on the form wasn’t her signature and showed Dep. Jason Hunter her driver’s license, which the deputy compared to the form’s signature and found the two to be different, the sheriff said.
The deputy also met with the daughter and the teen-ager acknowledged her mother hadn’t given permission for her to get a tattoo and wasn’t aware she had gone to the shop. The girl said she copied her mother’s signature onto the consent form and Thonn did the tattooing at the shop, Sheriff Pohlmann said. The teen also said two of her friends went with her to the shop.
Thonn was arrested afterward.